I’ve often been asked, “What do you do when you lose your job? You certainly cannot stop the bills from coming on time.”
Good question. And we also cannot ignore that the situation will bring extreme stress to the family.
I’ve been there. I’ve experienced it. I had my doubts, fears, and troubles. I’ve thrown a fist at God and I’ve ignored Him. But with all of my bickering, God naturally remained steadfast and true. He provided on time and at the right measure.
We receive a number of prayer and counseling requests every day at the CBN Asia Prayer Center, asking us to pray to God for financial provision. We hear you when you call, when you cry, and when we pray together. God hears you, too. He listens to every word. He sees every tear breaking your heart.
Look up to the heavens, especially at this difficult time. “Praise God my soul” (Psalm 146:1), praise God. Everything is well.
Let the words from Psalm 46:1-3 encourage your heart. Meditate with your family the truth that…
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. “
Now let’s look at these important steps to take with the situation at hand:
- Give. Honor God through giving EVEN through tough times. It speaks volumes about how you PUT GOD FIRST by continuing to give. Let your faith work as God responds. Read Malachi 3:10 and be encouraged at how God will pour immeasurable blessings on you and your household. You will not have enough room to store His blessings!
- Pray. Tell God everything. Now’s not the time to be shy. Tell Him what’s in your heart. Be prepared to listen, because God will certainly tell you a lot through His words in the Bible. Follow what He says you need to do.
- Review your budget. Sit your family down and review your budget. Make a detailed list of your needs.
- Prioritize your expenses. Food and shelter should be numbers 1 and 2. Everything else should be measured strictly. Save on utilities (electricity, water, and gas) and list down everything you spend on.
- Things to avoid. Do not spend on entertainment until you get a job and save at least three times of your current salary. This means stopping movie expenses, restaurant meals, unnecessary expenses on clothes, etc.
Let God take an active role in your finances, He loves to provide for you. Give Him the opportunity to work a miracle right now. Ask Him to take over.
Has this article blessed you? Please tell us about it! Call our CBN Asia Prayer Center at 810-7176 or 810-7717 if you’re in Metro Manila, or 1-800-1-888-8700 toll-free from anywhere in the Philippines.
Jim Reyes is a veteran radio broadcaster, and recently the national director of a Christian media ministry in the Philippines. He has been involved with broadcasting ministries such as FEBC Philippines, United Christian Broadcasters, and TransWorld Radio Philippines. His Utanggalin articles supports the Freedom from Debt Campaign by Crown Financial Philippines, in cooperation with CBN Asia.