God certainly has a plan to help you overcome your financial struggles. He loves to help you get out of debt. He has never thought you needed to be in debt in the first place. He says in Philippians 4:19, “And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus.” HE is our Provider.
Okay, how to get out of debt… sometimes it’s so obvious where to cut and save. Sometimes it’s the little things we overlook, too. Yet it is those little things that make the biggest impact to our financial bottomline.
Every time a new year turns, we think about what we can do to make the coming year prosperous. We think about adding to what we have. New clothes, shoes, jewelry, vacation plans for summer, gadgets and electronics, furniture… well, the list goes on, and if we can ADD more, the better.
This year, I’ve decided to SUBTRACT. Yes, that’s right. I want to subtract a lot of things so the coming year becomes a prosperous year for me.
- Less use of credit cards. I’ve decided to use them less this year. No more installment payments (even if they’re charging less interest). I’ll bring them less during mall weekends and grocery days. I’ll pay cash as much as I can.
- Less restaurant meals. I’ve decided to eat at home more often. No more buffet meals for me. Eating out is expensive. I’ve realized I could buy one whole chicken for the price of one cooked chicken meal in a restaurant.
- Less junk food. I used to stock up on soda, chips and chocolates. It’s a proud stash I keep in arm’s reach from the TV remote control. Bad for my health, bad for my wallet. Junk food is 5% of my monthly net income, and I’m decided to smash it to zero.
- Less perks. I like going to coffee shops to get that fancy gourmet coffee. It’s definitely one perk I can let go because it’s just too expensive. I’ve decided to buy my beans at the grocery and make my own blend at home. The internet can teach me how to make my home blend extra special.
- Less elevator trips. I’ve decided to use the stairs as often as I can to keep my heart healthy. I was too lazy before and I’ve got the weight to prove it.
I’d like to encourage you to make a list of things that YOU need to subtract this year. Arrange it from the easiest to do up to the hardest. Pray and begin your subtraction immediately, and soon enough you’d see your road to financial freedom and victory.
Has this article blessed you? Please tell us about it! Call our CBN Asia Prayer Center at 810-7176 or 810-7717 of you’re in Metro Manila, or 1-800-1-888-8700 toll-free from anywhere in the Philippines.
Jim Reyes is a veteran radio broadcaster, and recently the national director of a Christian media ministry in the Philippines. He has been involved with broadcasting ministries such as FEBC Philippines, United Christian Broadcasters, and TransWorld Radio Philippines. His Utanggalin articles supports the Freedom from Debt Campaign by Crown Financial Philippines, in cooperation with CBN Asia.